Haverford men’s hoops falls to surging Swat squad
By biconews On 1 Feb, 2000 At 05:00 AM | Categorized As Archives | With 0 Comments

By Mike Newshel

The Haverford men’s basketball team (3-14, 1-5) lost 65-58 to archrival Swarthmore (3-14, 2-5) in an intense and raucous game at the Alumni Field House Wednesday.

The stands were packed with cheering and rowdy fans whose exchanges across the court with Swat fans were just as heated as the play on the court. But balanced and improved play on the part of Haverford supported by enthusiastic and incessant shouts of “Swat Sucks” were not enough to top the red-bellies. Swat snatched the lead from the Fords at the close of the first half and held on for the victory.

The Fords didn’t waste any time as they jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first minutes of the game. They continued to hold the lead for most of the half until Swarthmore freshman David Pearce tied the game at 12 and Swat took the lead on the next drive by hitting a foul shout [sic] with 8 minutes remaining in the half. However junior Kevin Gregory immediately helped the Fords take the lead back by converting a steal into two points with a one-handed bank shot.

The Fords continued to build and took their biggest lead of the game when senior Mukul Kanabar drove the lane and kicked it out to classmate and co-captain Tim Mulvaney who drained a three to increase the Ford lead to seven. Swarthmore started to close in again but sophomore Chris Riley hit a three-pointer to establish a six point advantage with just over a minute to go in the half.

It looked like Haverford would enter the locker room with a comfortable lead, but Swarthmore responded with two points on a strong post-up move and capitalized on a Haverford miss by hitting a three-pointer, cutting the lead to one. Then with seconds to go in the half, the Swarthmore press forced a turnover, and a desperation shot banked in to give them a one-point lead as time ran out. The Fords would not win back the lead.

The play of the second half went back and forth, and although the Fords were able to answer runs by Swat, they could not regain the lead. Swat built on their lead at the start of the half, though court-length drives by Matt Duffy and Kanabar shaved the lead back to one. Another Swarthmore drive was thwarted when Mark Maggiotto got his own pass back from Chris Riley and drew a foul as he scored. He hit the foul shot to complete the three-point play and cut the Garnet lead back to two.

Midway through the second half, Swarthmore started to pull away, increasing their lead to 12 at one point. With around five minutes to go, the Fords showed signs of a comeback when freshman Cam Scribner hit a jump shot from the top of the key and Chris Riley was fouled off the ball. Kevin Gregory put back Riley’s missed foul shot and Riley subsequently hit a shot after a Swarthmore turnover to close the lead to four. However, with time running out, the Fords were forced to foul and were unable to close the deficit, giving Swarthmore the win.

The Fords played tight defense throughout the game, not giving up any easy shots, but it was fouls that made the difference in this game. The Fords shot a total of only five free-throws, making three, compared to Swat’s 19 conversions on 31 attempts.

The Fords received even scoring, led by Chris Riley’s 13. Cam Scribner posted 10 points and Mark Maggiotto and Tim Mulvaney each chipped in nine. David Pearce of Swarthmore led all scorers with a career-high 24 points and four assists.

About - Founded over 100 years ago we are the shared newspaper of Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges. From campus happenings to global news, we've got you covered.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>